Social Studies Homeschool Curriculum Skills List | Secular First Grade
Social Studies concepts create the themes for some of the units within First Grade Complete. The activities and discussion questions stimulate higher-level thinking and encourage understanding of the concepts.
- Know name, address, and phone number.
- Identify city, state, and country of residence.
- Develop an understanding that families are important and that each member is unique.
- Understand that people have feelings.
- Understand that everyone has worth.
- Understand the importance of good manners and respect toward others.
- Learn about America’s symbols, great documents, and beginning history.
- Identify the three branches of government.
- Be familiar with the history, traditions, and famous people from different cultures.
- Develop an understanding of community helpers and specific services they perform.
- Learn about different types of transportation, and compare to early transportation in the U.S.
- Learn about different means of communication.
- Learn about the growth in communication.
- Understand verbal and nonverbal communication.
- Learn and use basic sign language.
- Recognize the importance of following guidelines and being responsible.
- Understand the concept of being a good citizen and the importance of having laws.
- Develop an understanding of basic safety and emergency procedures.
- Develop an understanding of basic economic principles.
- Create a timeline of at least three events; analyze and draw conclusions about the events.
- Recognize and celebrate important holidays.
- Learn about historical figures.
- Recognize important political leaders.
- Develop basic map skills.
- Learn about the seven continents in our world.
- Locate continents and oceans on a world map.
- Learn about story-telling in other cultures.
- Recognize the importance of being responsible with our natural resources.