Music Secular Homeschool Curriculum Skills List | Second Grade
Music activities are designed to improve the child’s motor skills, listening skills, self-discipline, vocabulary and language skills, social skills, and cultural understanding. Studying music nurtures creativity and builds self-confidence as the child learns to coordinate his movements in rhythm to music.
- Continue to develop a basic music vocabulary.
- Demonstrate dynamics and tempo.
- Listen to and sing various types of music: patriotic, folk, seasonal, spirituals.
- Continue to improve coordination and express creativity through motions that keep time with music.
- Develop an ability to understand a song’s message.
- Repeat rhythmic patterns using clapping or instruments.
- Make a homemade instrument.
- Perform written rhythmic patterns: whole note/rest, quarter note/rest, half note/rest.
- Create a rhythmic composition.