Which sport is known as America’s pastime? Why do you think it was originally called rounders? Who is “The Bambino”? Which player is honored by the jersey number 42?
Read to discover how one homeschool family enjoyed the baseball unit study as they explored their child's favorite sport.
In this interactive unit, all subject areas are integrated so that learning is fun and meaningful.
- Read about famous baseball players, the history of baseball, and the science behind the game.
- Calculate baseball statistics, round decimal numbers to the nearest thousandth place, and display the data using graphs. Determine the probability of an event. Read numbers to the hundred millions place value, and write them in word and expanded form. Use the Associative Property of Addition to group and add numbers.
- Properly use comparative and superlative adjectives. Learn new vocabulary by playing a vocabulary memory game and a bingo game. Identify the present and paste tense of a verb and concrete or abstract nouns. Recite a poem, and use a rubric to evaluate the presentation. Use a writing process, and write a report about a famous baseball player.
- Develop the character traits of perseverance, integrity, and a commitment to be and do our best.
- Make a diorama of a baseball field and stadium.
- Learn the symptoms and effects of Lou Gehrig’s disease and Down syndrome. Observe cells using a microscope.
Baseball Unit Study Includes:
- Documentation of skills taught within the unit study
- Detailed lesson plans
- Step-by-step instructions for teaching your child
- Activities for different learning styles
- Enrichment activities to challenge advanced learners
- Handwriting guidelines
- Worksheets for practice with each lesson
- Reading practice pages
- Literature List
- Materials List
- Templates for resources:
- Hundred Chart
- Sink the Ship Game Boards
- Place Value Board
- United States Map
- World Map
- Writing Rubric
Grade levels: 4-6
This is a three-week, 140 page unit.
Student workbook pages are designed to reinforce the daily concepts and are included within the unit study.
Number of Pages: 140 pages
Format: downloadable or loose-leaf
Publisher: A+ Publishing LLC
Publication Date: 2018
Dimensions: 8.5” x 11”